Friday, September 30, 2016

Adapting to the Art

Friday Knight News


“If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.”  Bruce Lee 

Some styles seem to be geared toward adaptability for the individual. While other systems are not so inclined and they instead require for the student to adapt to the style. On the other hand that could be merely the ridged thinking of some instructors? Yet, there has always been a struggle in many systems with getting the student to adapt their body to the art. This happens no matter if the art is calling for harder conditioning or more flexible  conditioning, or combinations of the two. Still, it is hard to believe that someone could be a black belt in the Tenth Planet jujutsu system if they could not achieve the rubber-guard. Likewise it is hard to acknowledge someone from a head kicking art that isn't in splits, or are able to jump high enough to compensate for it. Also, it is difficult to accept that someone who is so out of shape that they cannot walk from the parking lot to the dojo without getting winded is an instructor of any martial art. I'm not talking about injury or illness but merely slothful lack of exercise and/or training.

Since I mentioned it earlier, there is also the injury factor to consider. I have had students and have trained with other students that were amputees, or had other injuries or difficulties to train around. It is hard to teach a kicking style to single amputees, it is impossible to teach to double amputees. This type of thing also stands to reason to be true for hand or arm injuries in punching styles. Also spinal injuries sideline many people from learning a martial art. So, if the style requires that you perform certain techniques to advance, then it is impossible to achieve ranking if your injuries prevent you from being able to participate.


The Dream Walker Series 

Then again, from time to time, we run across people that have the art adapt to them and their needs. This happens more often in styles that operate on principle as they tend to have more leeway. In my book principle based warrior arts I discuss the principles my instructor taught, which I organized after my he requested that I put together a syllabus. No matter what style you practice you should be able to adapt these following principles to your training.


Universal Tactics and Strategy
Sen no sen: (Defensively) attack first
Sen: Simultaneous attack
Go no sen: Counter attack
Preparation Lessons
Preparation First: Hands, Elbows, Knee and Feet in Safety Zone
Surprise
Position of Advantage
Closes the Gap
Focus on the Smallest Point
Hands Move/Feet Move
Avoid Direct Assaults
Lead the Mind
Rotational Movement Lessons
Extend your Circle
Tighten the Circle
Control the attacker central axis
Control Tactical Lessons
Take the Balance
Ground the Attacker
Limit Motion
Control with Sensitivity
Power Lead Foot (Right or Left)
Body Isolation / Kneel, Step Compression
Fulcrum, Lever, Base
Double Lock

“The primary thing when you take a sword in your hands is your intention to cut the enemy, whatever the means.”  Miyamoto Musashi


Rand Law Books




The above link will take you to my author's page. Let me know if you like it and feel free to drop me an email if you like or you can use the comment check boxes below. I try to incorporate as much of my experience and observations as I can into my sci fi adventures. I come from a background that taught that should only write about what you know. As I know nothing else other than my perspective, I was left with limited options. The Dream Walker book series are tales about martial arts adventurers with an essence of the para-normal from dream mediation. Each book in the series reveals their struggles as they work to make a life for themselves and elude those that seek to use and control them.

No comments: