Friday, August 12, 2016

Martial Arts in My Books

Friday Knight News



“Know your enemy, know his sword.” Miyamoto Musashi

My fictional stories are a bit of a mélange of martial art adventure, and science fiction; with an essence of mystic experiences. It seems that often people go through life expecting everyone to see problems and situations purely from their own personal point of view. On the other hand, many people that I have admired go about life looking at things from varied perspectives. When it comes down to it, this is a trait that warriors, artist, and writers have in common. We have to realize at some point that most of our conflict is with our own inner critic. By exercising this point of view, we can look at our life from various angles or viewpoints, which can sometimes shed light on the direction we are heading. Knowing this we can trim the sails of our life to reach the distance shores.

All of my protagonists in my stories practice either kempo, jujutsu, or aiki-jujutsu to match with my experience. Quite often, the main characters train in all three arts or they have varying experience in them. Likewise, I use dream walking to describe some of the esoteric experiences that at one time had various worldwide groups and organization seeking me out.  I primarily utilize a Stanislavsky system applied to my writing.

Dream walking was a term I believed that I had made up, as a twist on dream mediation. But upon writing the series I have found that is has been a common term, so it is true, there is nothing new under the sun. Every so often I come across someone that has had similar experiences as some of my characters with this mindset. Some have used their intuitive skills working with the FBI, CIA and other groups. Some have operated in the shadows, but nothing comes as close to explaining these things on a scientific level as the theory of parallel universes that interact with each other in our timeline. These stories are just my fictionalized version of the experiences from different perspectives.

Ruger Jackson: Xanderland: Dream Walker 7

I was taught, "Write what you know," but coming from someone that knows very little I was left to the mercy of my limited experience and no credentials. I write from my experience even though not one character is composed of a single person. So, everyone in my tales are a combination of personalities and my perspective of their viewpoint. We as humans have been influenced by each person we encounter in life. Also, no one situation in the story line has happened on the same timeline as it does in the stories.

Throughout my book series the martial arts that my characters practice are a reflection on the training that I and my friends have engaged in with our daily lives. As my characters are reflections of everyone I've known, met, or trained with, I am pleased to announce the release of the seventh book in the Dream Walker series. "Ruger Jackson: Xanderland" Dream Walker 7: After Xander and his friends flee into the unknown, we find Ruger Jackson showing some traces of being a dream walker. From childhood Ruger has been groomed and controlled, but by whom and to what end? Will he discover who he really is, and who it is that is seeking to dominate his life?

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." Helen Keller 

Are you looking for an ongoing saga that spans the forefront of the struggles with the internal and external worlds? Please consider reading about the adventures of these martial art dream walkers. Thanks to all of my readers, your support means more than you know. Writing has always been a cathartic release for me. I hope you enjoy reading these adventures into what I refer to as my shadow self.

Dream Walker Books


PatreonPatreon 

If you have never heard of Patreon, this might help explain it. Patreon is a way for creators to earn ongoing funding directly from their fans. Yes it is true I am basically busking for a living, your pledges help out with adverting and moral support while I'm building by fan base. If my blog insights or my stories (books) have inspired you, please click on the Patreon link. You can control how much and/or how often you donate and even a dollar a month helps. The blogs are free even if you can't spare a buck. If you donate, you have access to extra content and a chance at some swag.

No comments: