Friday, September 12, 2014

Warrior Poet

Friday Knight News

"The sword has to be more than a simple weapon; it has to be an answer to life's questions." Miyamoto Musashi


In my kempo iron palm training  I used a dark poem as a reminder to keep students aware of the dangerous nature of the art. As a word in warning can save lives. I called the poem: (The Five Fingers of Death).
Blood; Seal the vein starve the brain.

Bone; Crush the head the body's dead, crush the spine life unwinds. 
Wind; Control the breath, close to death, wait to long and they are gone.
Nerve: Time the breath and stop the heart, they will depart.
Mind: Lead the head and the body's lead; lead the mind control all in kind.

It strikes me that throughout history in many cultures warriors were also artist, singers and poets.  I had a hour's drive coming and going from the dojo of my sensei and I spent much of this time singing radio karaoke.  One of my favorite habits was to alter the lyrics of the favorite tune to fit my interest. Often times I would only delete a line or two from the song that glorified a practice contrary to my values.  This usually meant that the lines had something to do with crime, drugs, drunkenness or smoking.  On other times would find myself rewriting the lyrics extensively just because they seem to fit in my mind.  I have listed an example of my weirdness; maybe you might be able recognize the source of my original inspiration, this version it titled (Faded Beige).
A first great influenced was by Master named Oyama
Practicing my striking all the day long
Trying to find mushin or get a little closer than before
Focusing on breathing, striking the target and learning to punch through
Some days I couldn't count all the strike that I threw
Ten thousand repetitions but there was always more to do

My first shodan obi was black as the midnight sky
With gold letter on it as bright as the noonday sun
Hard lesson it had taught me, about dedication and even having fun
Never giving up but to keep fighting till I won

Now I'm in the moment, time has slowed for me
Earning all my ranks
With blood, sweat, and fear mastery
Now my old black belt has faded another shade or two
First it turned charcoal gray but now it’s faded beige

Sitting in the dojo silent and alone
Your muscles are aching from the position that you hold
The old masters walk the walk, still do what they can
The young boys wish that they could match them still
You know they won't make if they fail to practice now
Yet the spark is still flickering as they try to understand

Now I'm in the moment, time has slowed for me
Earning all my ranks
With blood, sweat, and fear mastery
Now my old black belt has faded another shade or two
First it turned charcoal gray but now it’s faded beige

Well, I guess you get the point of the variation. I still practice this warrior version of my weird Al Yankovic syndrome, but I also like to write, cook, sketch cartoons and play the harmonica.  We all need outside interest even if it's just a simple as walking, hiking, reading, swimming, sailing, reading books, or watching movies. These are all favorite interests of mine.  It's good to explore new things maybe you will like doing puzzles, playing at acting, doing adventure role-playing games, making model airplanes or boats or even invent a new creative hobby of your own. The trick to being a complete warrior one has to have at least a semblance of balance, don't you think.

I would describe the following book as a wry look at the world from the point of view of a martial artist. 

Beyond the Dojo


If you like fantasy fiction and have not yet read the "Dream Walker" series, below are links to the Kindle version books and they have many examples of these and other martial art skills in them.

My stories are about martial arts adventures that are intertwined with paranormal or supernatural events. The following links are to the Kindle version books from the "Dream Walker” series. Our adventurers find themselves on a quest where they are confronted with both conspiracy and mystery. Their challenge is to unite their mind and body skills together utilizing what they have learned in the martial arts with the transcendental power of dream mediation. They attempt to do this while they are trying to make a life for themselves and elude those that seek to use and control them.

Conversations with a Sage (Book 1 of the Dream-Walker)

Conversations with a Sage: This explores Xander Davidson's early encounters with the mysterious fog like Dream Walking martial art sages. He ponders if they are real or if they are only remnants of his dreams. He mainly keeps this secret world to himself as he tries to copes with abuse, growing up without support or guidance and the mystery of his family's past. 

Xander and the Assassins Gift (Book 2 of the Dream-Walker)

The Assassins Gift: Xander Davidson struggles with the conspiracy of his family and the group that is actively trying to manipulate him to join them or die. The young Dream Walkers learns an early lesson to be careful about whom they let into their circle.


Warriors of Perception (Book 3 of the Dream-Walker)

Warriors of Perception: Xander Davidson and his band of friends embark on a mission to free themselves from their oppressors. They bravely face the challenge all the while vying for the right moment to turn the tables.


Jace Lee The Shift (Book 4 of the Dream-Walker)

Jace Lee The Shift: We find a new apprentice, Adam, that is fighting for his life. He is struggling to understand the amazing skills of his mentor, Jace Lee; a younger man that has trained under Xander Davidson. All the while his mentor attempts to reconcile the fact that his skills do not match up with the other Dream Walkers.


Jace Lee No Agenda (Dream Walker Book 5)

Jace Lee No Agenda: Jace Lee attempts to find himself on a self-imposed vision quest of sorts. Instead he finds himself being stalked by the same group that had previously sought after his teacher, (Xander Davidson). Instead of mastering his odd Dream Walking skills he finds love and the potential loss of his powers.

Jace Lee and the Tutelage of Ming Wu: Dream Walker 6 

Jace Lee The Tutelage of Ming Wu: Jace Lee rejoins his teacher Xander Davidson as they cope with a possible combined threat (the mysterious), Ming Wu and the Council that has continuously monitored the Dream Walkers.       

No comments: