Friday, September 19, 2014

Training with Injuries

Friday Knight News


The Mighty Atom

My injuries were caused primary by work place accidents, although a few were caused by criminals trying to get away. Throughout my life I have always had individuals asking me what type of training I did. I had always found this flattering, but I felt that I did nothing special or noteworthy to deserve their attention. This was even when I could jump in the air and land in splits, I could also lay my chest on the floor in between my legs and on the outside of my legs as well. I'd never thought of myself as exceptionally strong or flexible and I only used dumbbell weight training to augment a few calisthenic exercises now and again. The day that karate legend Joe Louis began asking about my training routine changed my perspective on this subject. After he met my son, he continued to make inquiries about my training, then I felt confident that I was on the right track.

"Step by step and the thing is done." Charles Atlas   

After my initial back injury, for a while I could only move one arm in the air and even that was painful. Even before this I was always running into individuals who could outperform me lifting weights. It was very seldom that I have I ran into someone who could even come close to matching the number repetitions I could do on calisthenic exercises; but I had to modify my high repetition routine due to the injuries. After that the only thing I could see that I did different than anyone else was my consistency in performing my daily regimen. So I learned to work around my injuries. I'm stiffer now and I've lost a great deal of flexibility but I keep my joints loose. One benefit is that the martial arts that I practice do not required high kicks or body twisting for power; golf and baseball are out of the question for me.

Once a year for a few years until I hit fifty something, I would test my bench press and squat on a Smith machine. My best bench was 425 pounds for a measly couple of repetitions. On a good day and on a device that eliminated any variation from swaying I could pull this off. If I had attempted this on a free weight bench I have no doubts I would drop the stack on top of me. On the other hand I could hack squat the 425 pounds until the cows came home. If the weight on the hack machine was 500 pounds then doing thirty reps was not out of the question. Still I had to rely on others to load the machine as I could not bend over and dead lift a box of Kleenex.

Back before the injuries, I primarily based my training routine on the philosophy and principles of the old-time strongmen. Men like the "Mighty Atom, Charles Atlas" and others. I believe that Joe Greenstein who was better known as "The Mighty Atom" was the first Westerner to study jujitsu in Japan. These men primarily did calisthenics and breathing exercises with high repetitions being the foundation of their success.

"Exercise is King, nutrition is Queen, put them together and you've got a kingdom." Jack LaLanne

I had followed this practice for a decade until after I suffered the first of many traumatic injuries. None of my injuries were a result of my martial art practice, but because of my martial art practice I'm still alive; or at least that is what my doctors have theorized. I've lost over 2 inches in height from being knocked off or over, often end over end by moving and often speeding vehicles. There had been two falls from oil-well derricks and a fall off a cliff while free climbing that didn't help matters much. It was all the falling and not getting shot that hurt me the most.

As to people who could match or better me, I had one student who could pinch grip the floor joist from the basement and do pull-ups that way. I've never been able to duplicate that feat, my son had set our dojo record of 400 repetitions of combined pull-ups and chin-ups in sets of thirty or so repetitions. The most that I have achieved before my back injuries was twenty-five repetitions and only doing one or two sets. Now after my injuries I do 30 to 50 repetitions of these exercises, but only when I can perform them on total gym like devices. There is no use in my mind to performing any exercise if the performance of said exercise causes debilitating pain.

                                                                      RD
At one time I would do 1,500 various squats, and up to 500 push-ups, and around 900 sit-ups or crunches as a portion of my once prodigious daily training routine. I did these year around five and six days a week, until injuries curtailed me. Now I only do 30-50 repetitions of various calisthenics routines three times a week which I supplement with 3 to 6 miles daily walking and various light (35 pound) kettle bell exercises.

I have found, at least for me the trick to having an efficient calisthenic routine is to alternate the exercises within the program. On top of this, I found that a specific sequential order of performing the exercises enhances the body's response to the training. Of course I daily practice my martial art skills. During certain seasonal periods of time, I have done as much as 10,000 repetitions of various martial art techniques a day. While my daily normal was much lower ranging from 2,000 to 4,000 repetitions as I was coming up through the ranks. I now only do 1,000 to 2,000 techniques on an average day. Next week I will talk about how to enhance one's performance in the martial arts when training solo. Until then you might like this book.

 Enlightenment Kicking and Screaming (The Paradox of Martial Art Training) R. David Lawrence


If you like martial art fantasy fiction and have not yet read the "Dream Walker" series, below are links to the Kindle version books and they have many examples of these and other martial art skills in them.  Many of my readers and student say that they find inspiration and life lessons from these stories as well. My stories are about martial arts adventures that are intertwined with paranormal or supernatural events. The following links are to the Kindle version books from the "Dream Walker” series. Our adventurers find themselves on a quest where they are confronted with both conspiracy and mystery. Their challenge is to unite their mind and body skills together utilizing what they have learned in the martial arts with the transcendental power of dream mediation. They attempt to do this while they are trying to make a life for themselves and elude those that seek to use and control them.

Conversations with a Sage (Book 1 of the Dream-Walker)

Conversations with a Sage: This explores Xander Davidson's early encounters with the mysterious fog like Dream Walking martial art sages. He ponders if they are real or if they are only remnants of his dreams. He mainly keeps this secret world to himself as he tries to copes with abuse, growing up without support or guidance and the mystery of his family's past. 

Xander and the Assassins Gift (Book 2 of the Dream-Walker)

The Assassins Gift: Xander Davidson struggles with the conspiracy of his family and the group that is actively trying to manipulate him to join them or die. The young Dream Walkers learns an early lesson to be careful about whom they let into their circle.


Warriors of Perception (Book 3 of the Dream-Walker)

Warriors of Perception: Xander Davidson and his band of friends embark on a mission to free themselves from their oppressors. They bravely face the challenge all the while vying for the right moment to turn the tables.


Jace Lee The Shift (Book 4 of the Dream-Walker)

Jace Lee The Shift: We find a new apprentice, Adam, that is fighting for his life. He is struggling to understand the amazing skills of his mentor, Jace Lee; a younger man that has trained under Xander Davidson. All the while his mentor attempts to reconcile the fact that his skills do not match up with the other Dream Walkers.


Jace Lee No Agenda (Dream Walker Book 5)

Jace Lee No Agenda: Jace Lee attempts to find himself on a self-imposed vision quest of sorts. Instead he finds himself being stalked by the same group that had previously sought after his teacher, (Xander Davidson). Instead of mastering his odd Dream Walking skills he finds love and the potential loss of his powers.

Jace Lee and the Tutelage of Ming Wu: Dream Walker 6 

Jace Lee The Tutelage of Ming Wu: Jace Lee rejoins his teacher Xander Davidson as they cope with a possible combined threat (the mysterious), Ming Wu and the Council that has continuously monitored the Dream Walkers.

No comments: