Friday, February 26, 2016

Five Living Masters Part V (The Price of Mastery)

Friday Knight News

"Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and diligence." Abigail Adams

This is the final installment on my top five list of five living martial artists that impress me. As previously noted, I decided to select men that I have not met personally. Furthermore, the individuals had to be recommended to me by another martial artist. I'm not saying that each or any one person has everything together in art or in life. My sensei always said that there is no such thing as a master of all things outside of the divine. I have noticed if you pay attention, you can find fault in anything that is masterful. Just because a thing is masterful doesn't mean it is perfect. Practice doesn't make perfect, but it does increase the odds as long as the practice continues to perfect. Mastery, after all, is a process and not a destination.

These five men featured in my blogs have followed the path of continual practice, even after getting knocked down. They have impressed, motivated, or at least inspired me. Not everyone is a Michelangelo or a Bill Watterson, but both men's art have inspired me. To tell the truth, often it has been the work of the cartoonist that I have found to be more significant. I have the same type of appreciation in music, writing and martial arts as well, so there maybe hope for me yet, on all counts.

In my life it has been rare to find a situation where using the philosophy guiding a person to a safe resolution has worked. As when a guided fall is over, or a lock or choke has been released; those filled by rage, hate, or drugs are right back at it trying to kill you. It is because of this I have used strikes when needed as often it is easier to recover from a blow than a spiral break. I still like the use of soft and subtly with strikes especially as the years have pass and the injuries I have accumulated in life increase.

Shane Belisles Eight Inch Concrete Break

This brings me to  Rodney Morgan of the Iron Lotus Society (ILS). In the video clip above we see two men from the ILS that have exceeded my breaking skills. Their method and training regime is much the same as my kempo, but with a few small exceptions. Rodney Morgan is a martial artist and a college professor. He teaches photography and is a lifelong student of the martial arts. Like all the men I have selected for this series, Morgan is humble and he has studied a variety of styles to some degree or another. These styles and systems include Tae Kwon Do, Bando (Vietnamese boxing), Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do, Five Animal Style Kung Fu, and Bagua Chang, Ng Family Style. The man that is speaking from the sideline in the first video is Rodney Morgan. Rodney Morgan is featured in the second clip along with other members of the ILS.

 Iron Lotus Society Breaking Demo

Rodney Morgan suspended his training for a while when his mother had cancer and was told there was nothing that the doctors could do for her. Still we know that all life is a death sentence after all. It is only by how we live life and make our choices that shows our light. I understand what he went through to some degree, as doctors had told me the same about my son only having three to six months to live. I stopped teaching for a while, but continued to go through the motions of training. But my heart was not in it, still I persisted as I hoped it would help pull me through. Fortunately, the doctors were wrong in our case and several decades has passed and my son is still with us, but not everyone is that lucky. I'm glad to hear that Rodney Morgan has once again returned to training after his family's ordeal, may God bless them all. To all of my top five picks thanks for the inspiration to improve in so many different areas.

 "If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." Michelangelo 

My stories are about martial arts adventures that are intertwined with paranormal or supernatural events. The following links are to the Kindle version books from the "Dream Walker” series. Our adventurers find themselves on a quest where they are confronted with both conspiracy and mystery. Their challenge is to unite their mind and body skills together utilizing what they have learned in the martial arts with the transcendental power of dream meditation. They attempt to do this while they are trying to make a life for themselves and elude those that seek to use and control them.


Conversations with a Sage: This explores Xander Davidson's early encounters with the mysterious fog like Dream Walking martial art sages. He ponders if they are real or if they are only remnants of his dreams. He mainly keeps this secret world to himself as he tries to cope with abuse, growing up without support or guidance and the mystery of his family's past. 


The Assassins Gift: Xander Davidson struggles with the conspiracy of his family and the group that is actively trying to manipulate him to join them or die. The young Dream Walkers learns an early lesson to be careful about whom they let into their circle.


Warriors of Perception: Xander Davidson and his band of friends embark on a mission to free themselves from their oppressors. They bravely face the challenge all the while vying for the right moment to turn the tables.


Jace Lee The Shift: We find a new apprentice, Adam, which is fighting for his life. He is struggling to understand the amazing skills of his mentor, Jace Lee; a younger man that has trained under Xander Davidson. All the while his mentor attempts to reconcile the fact that his skills do not match up with the other Dream Walkers.


Jace Lee No Agenda: Jace Lee attempts to find himself on a self-imposed vision quest of sorts. Instead he finds himself being stalked by the same group that had previously sought after his teacher, (Xander Davidson). Instead of mastering his odd Dream Walking skills he finds love and the potential loss of his powers.


Jace Lee The Tutelage of Ming Wu: Jace Lee rejoins his teacher Xander Davidson as they cope with a possible combined threat (the mysterious), Ming Wu and the Council that has continuously monitored the Dream Walkers.      

No comments: