Friday, February 12, 2016

Five Living Masters Part IIl (The Unassuming Steve Smith)

Friday Knight News

 “The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them.” Miyamoto Musashi

There are many martial art masters and masters of other various arts that impress me that are not on my top five list. My master's list are like my favorite song list, the tune or in this case master can be shuffled around in order with my mood. This doesn't mean that any person on the list has gained or lost their skills or abilities. It just means that like my mood my taste changes with which expression of the art that is better favored in my view on any particular week. Now on with the third week of five living martial artists that impress me. As previously noted, I decided to select men that I have not met personally. I selected people that impress me either for their performance, their insight into the martial arts, or their ability to transmute their martial art acumen into other areas of creativity or any combination thereof. Furthermore, the criteria I used to select these people also included that these individuals had to be recommended to me by another martial artist/s.


I had never heard of the martial art master Steve Smith before. But I had a student by the same name when I lived out west and he had moved away before I did. So when I had someone mention a fuzzy out of focus video of Steve Smith practicing martial arts out in a back yard, I thought it was my old student. I was glad he had kept up at it, but later I got to see some better images and recognized this was another man who was much softer. I had not heard of Dave Harris' aikijitsu or Fook Yueng either but Steve introduced them to me via his stories and video's. Hearing about Fook Yueng Chuan cleared up so much of what I perceived as holes and inconsistencies in Bruce Lee's story, history and development.

The world's people are often viewed as being one of the three personality types: A wolf, a sheep or a sheepdog. Frequently styles that emphasis harmony, or yielding in general, are often thought of as inferior and unpractical by hard stylist. These hard stylist look at soft styles as impractical play and not real martial arts. Many times people that practice soft style martial arts are looked upon as performing a martial arts that has the martial ability taken out of it. Some people have said those stylist have rose colored glasses on and that they ignore the realities of modern conflict. Steve Smith fits into a soft stylist category; however, I don't know if he wears rose colored glasses from time to time. But it seems to me that he and those that he has instructed have the capability to be sheepdogs. The goal of the martial artist, as I see them, is to allow the sheepdog (that would rather tend to the sheep), the capability to stand up to the wolf in time of need. Yet what really bothers me the most is the people (sheep), that ignore the wolf at the door and condemns the woodsman with the ax that saves them, or keeping with the analogy the sheepdog.

I believe it is the goal of most martial artists to learn the art of war, so as to avoid the need for it. As a rational human being, it is the only logical choice or way to proceed. The trouble is and I have seen and experienced that not everyone is a logical human being. I have had people try to kill me, and/or with others whom I have trained and/or worked. It was often because we stood up for someone that they were taking advantage of or abusing.

We can be good, kind, and gentle, helping others but that is not enough. Criminals, will attacks for (the thrill of) power, money, or our body just like animals that kill for sport and the trill of the hunt. Yes, animals often kill for pleasure, anyone who has spent any time in nature or around a house cat knows this and dogs, wolves, and lions do so as well. They all kill for fun, most mothers in the animal kingdom have to protect their young from their mates, as the mates will often kill their young to get access to their mate. On the other hand, humans can be like this too, or they can be the best that nature has to offer, often sacrificing themselves for others. I think Steve Smith is a man and martial artist that would have no problem stepping in to help others in need. I also believe the attacker would find that there might be teeth and claws behind the gentle play.

 “The best fighter is never angry.”  Lao Tzu

My stories are about martial arts adventures that are intertwined with paranormal or supernatural events. The following links are to the Kindle version books from the "Dream Walker” series. Our adventurers find themselves on a quest where they are confronted with both conspiracy and mystery. Their challenge is to unite their mind and body skills together utilizing what they have learned in the martial arts with the transcendental power of dream meditation. They attempt to do this while they are trying to make a life for themselves and elude those that seek to use and control them.

Conversations with a Sage (Book 1 of the Dream-Walker)

Conversations with a Sage: This explores Xander Davidson's early encounters with the mysterious fog like Dream Walking martial art sages. He ponders if they are real or if they are only remnants of his dreams. He mainly keeps this secret world to himself as he tries to cope with abuse, growing up without support or guidance and the mystery of his family's past. 

Xander and the Assassins Gift (Book 2 of the Dream-Walker)

The Assassins Gift: Xander Davidson struggles with the conspiracy of his family and the group that is actively trying to manipulate him to join them or die. The young Dream Walkers learns an early lesson to be careful about whom they let into their circle.


Warriors of Perception (Book 3 of the Dream-Walker)

Warriors of Perception: Xander Davidson and his band of friends embark on a mission to free themselves from their oppressors. They bravely face the challenge all the while vying for the right moment to turn the tables.


Jace Lee The Shift (Book 4 of the Dream-Walker)

Jace Lee The Shift: We find a new apprentice, Adam, which is fighting for his life. He is struggling to understand the amazing skills of his mentor, Jace Lee; a younger man that has trained under Xander Davidson. All the while his mentor attempts to reconcile the fact that his skills do not match up with the other Dream Walkers.


Jace Lee No Agenda (Dream Walker Book 5)

Jace Lee No Agenda: Jace Lee attempts to find himself on a self-imposed vision quest of sorts. Instead he finds himself being stalked by the same group that had previously sought after his teacher, (Xander Davidson). Instead of mastering his odd Dream Walking skills he finds love and the potential loss of his powers.

Jace Lee and the Tutelage of Ming Wu: Dream Walker 6 

Jace Lee The Tutelage of Ming Wu: Jace Lee rejoins his teacher Xander Davidson as they cope with a possible combined threat (the mysterious), Ming Wu and the Council that has continuously monitored the Dream Walkers.      


No comments: