Friday, April 17, 2015

The Makiwara for Sen Ren Shin

Friday Knight News

“It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.” Bruce Lee

Sen ren shin is a term used to denote that an activity is used for polishing the spirit. Sometimes taking on a hardship for the sole purpose of facing a difficulty is reason enough to pursue it. By knowing the duration of the hardship it is easier to take; by knowing that there is an end in sight. That is why I enjoy makiwara training, even on days when the cold wind cuts through my gi or the hot sun bakes me.

It seems to me that there are generally two approaches to the study of martial arts. The first being the accumulation of techniques and the second being in the whittling away of redundancies. Without a doubt the best practitioners have a tendency to merge these two polar opposites into one cohesive practice. Some people devote all of their time to mastering one particular style or system, other people try to glean the best elements out of a multitude of systems. The latter group has a tendency of trying to integrate diversified styles into a functioning unit. While the people who have invested all their time in mastering a single approach, often exhibit a higher level of polish and proficiency when they are dealing within the parameters that they are familiar. I have found that often we can learn new lessons from old training or teachings if we are open to change.

Then, of course, there are the individuals that seek only to understand their own style or system. Often these people find that their original style is more than what they imagined it to be. By searching the depths of meaning within their system they find that it proves to be more than what had fit inside of their classic fishbowl original view of the martial arts. It is these practitioners that I find myself most closely aligned with in theory and practice. I started off as a kempo-jutsu practitioner, I was not sure if the art that I was practicing was karate or jujitsu. Over the years I had moved to and away from numerous schools and teachers. I did this as often either I or my instructors moved away and/or had other obligations that prevented our continual practice together. I have supplemented my layover time by training with whatever art or martial art instructor that was available to me; even if it was only repeated seminars over the expanse of time from a host of systems. The duration of study proved to me that I had only trained long enough in most of these supplemental systems to barely scratch their surface, but eventually I had a modicum of success.

After acquiring various ranks in kempo, jujitsu, and aiki-jujutsu, I had found that the similarities between the systems had a tendency to merge together through no particular design on my part. A perfect example of this, is illustrated in the way that I approach my makiwara training. From my kempo I utilized a five strike and conditioning routine, this being; dot, chop, slap, press, and throw. During my life, I have trained in karate, tae kwon do, and ju-jutsu systems that utilize striking post training. This eventually led to me shaving away redundancies from my training routine in the various arts to merging my iron palm five strike practice into my makiwara training. It has saved me a considerable amount of training time, and it has helped refine my techniques in the process. I still enjoy my daily buffeting of my body to help keep my spirit polished.

"The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." Morihei Ueshiba 



My stories are about martial arts adventures that are intertwined with paranormal or supernatural events. The following links are to the Kindle version books from the "Dream Walker” series. Our adventurers find themselves on a quest where they are confronted with both conspiracy and mystery. Their challenge is to unite their mind and body skills together utilizing what they have learned in the martial arts with the transcendental power of dream mediation. They attempt to do this while they are trying to make a life for themselves and elude those that seek to use and control them.

Conversations with a Sage (Book 1 of the Dream-Walker)

Conversations with a Sage: This explores Xander Davidson's early encounters with the mysterious fog like Dream Walking martial art sages. He ponders if they are real or if they are only remnants of his dreams. He mainly keeps this secret world to himself as he tries to copes with abuse, growing up without support or guidance and the mystery of his family's past. 

Xander and the Assassins Gift (Book 2 of the Dream-Walker)

The Assassins Gift: Xander Davidson struggles with the conspiracy of his family and the group that is actively trying to manipulate him to join them or die. The young Dream Walkers learns an early lesson to be careful about whom they let into their circle.


Warriors of Perception (Book 3 of the Dream-Walker)

Warriors of Perception: Xander Davidson and his band of friends embark on a mission to free themselves from their oppressors. They bravely face the challenge all the while vying for the right moment to turn the tables.


Jace Lee The Shift (Book 4 of the Dream-Walker)

Jace Lee The Shift: We find a new apprentice, Adam, that is fighting for his life. He is struggling to understand the amazing skills of his mentor, Jace Lee; a younger man that has trained under Xander Davidson. All the while his mentor attempts to reconcile the fact that his skills do not match up with the other Dream Walkers.


Jace Lee No Agenda (Dream Walker Book 5)

Jace Lee No Agenda: Jace Lee attempts to find himself on a self-imposed vision quest of sorts. Instead he finds himself being stalked by the same group that had previously sought after his teacher, (Xander Davidson). Instead of mastering his odd Dream Walking skills he finds love and the potential loss of his powers.

Jace Lee and the Tutelage of Ming Wu: Dream Walker 6 

Jace Lee The Tutelage of Ming Wu: Jace Lee rejoins his teacher Xander Davidson as they cope with a possible combined threat (the mysterious), Ming Wu and the Council that has continuously monitored the Dream Walkers.       

No comments: