Friday, March 20, 2015

Kata Dancing Without Music

Friday Knight News

“In the past, it was expected that about three years were required to learn a single kata, and usually even an expert of considerable skill would only know three, or at most five, kata.”  Gichin Funakoshi

I have always hated forms. Forms and patterns are boring and useless; they are like dancing without music. I was interested in learning techniques that worked in real life. Sure kata can be a method of practicing odd techniques that you might not use in kumite or randori. Maybe you can learn deeper and hidden useful meaning from kata that deal with various ranges and applications, but that requires thinking. What we need is muscle memory from repeating techniques over and over until they are ingrained. Never mind that some sensei teach kata as a method of developing the mind and entering a Zen like state, so you can respond without conscious thought. Still what we need is real world application, no one attacks people in patterns like that, its all a waste of time.



Even styles like arnise, kali, and escrima use patterns though, but at least they have a rhythm section made up by the clacking of their sticks. That is unless they are using knives which is the life blood or foundation of these arts. I have only had a few Filipino students as I have always lived in areas where there just has not been very many Filipinos in the community. However, the Filipinos that have trained with me have told me that they had selected me because of my blade (what they called real world), awareness approach to martial arts. One of my students had lost all of his friends from school due to knife attacks (lost as in died), the attacks were from members of a group that doesn't endorse higher education.

I have been told that our unarmed jujutsu and aikijutsu kata was an adaptation from blade work kata. My sensei always told me never kick against a knife. I have done it none the less, but I still wouldn't recommend doing it. I have had five situations against the blade when not on duty and I almost got killed in two of them. That was because the blade flew past me, missing me by inches after having my kick stop the attack in mid-swing. Even though I walked away unscathed after these first two situations, I was still shaking from the adrenaline dump afterward. The movement that I had used in this assault (my first knife attack outside of the dojo), was a crescent kick to the forearm. A movement that came from kata. The crescent kick set up a side kick that stopped this larger now disarmed opponent, (a man that had jumped out from around the corner slashing at me with no warning). It also gave my buddy (that had just got discharge from the army), enough time to get to me and pull me off of the man.

Kicking a hand that is swinging or stabbing at you that is holding a knife, or any weapon, in it is almost always wrong. Dancing away from a knife is almost always wrong; running is better if you can out run the attacker. There have been three times where out running the attacker has failed me, and twice I was forced to use a kick to successfully defend myself. If you can't out run the attacker use that time to draw your weapon or find one that you can use if you are unarmed. On the occasion of the third event I found a weapon in a trash bin.

If you can not escape, normally closing distance and going outside to the position of advantage is your best bet. I do not teach FMA but I have found that they share a commonality with jujutsu which is that they both are based on blade. At least if you are using the techniques and principles of the samurai jujutsu, then they are blade oriented. My main arts have been kempo jutsu, jujutsu, and aiki jujutsu and their kata and waza are born from sword arts. Both jujutsu and aikijujutsu at least have bunkai that was derived from blade engagements. Although it seems to me, that my kempo was geared to defending against an unarmed opponent. Still they all use kata, just not the longer forms found in karate etc. Oh, what did I say, they use forms too but just shorter forms. Just like taking segments out of the longer forms from karate kata, they all can be used to illustrate different ways to make various applications of techniques.Well, never mind then, I love forms!

“Once a kata has been learned, it must be practiced repeatedly until it can be applied in an emergency, for knowledge of just the sequence of a form in Karate is useless.” Gichin Funakoshi





My stories are about martial arts adventures that are intertwined with paranormal or supernatural events. The following links are to the Kindle version books from the "Dream Walker” series. Our adventurers find themselves on a quest where they are confronted with both conspiracy and mystery. Their challenge is to unite their mind and body skills together utilizing what they have learned in the martial arts with the transcendental power of dream mediation. They attempt to do this while they are trying to make a life for themselves and elude those that seek to use and control them.

Conversations with a Sage (Book 1 of the Dream-Walker)

Conversations with a Sage: This explores Xander Davidson's early encounters with the mysterious fog like Dream Walking martial art sages. He ponders if they are real or if they are only remnants of his dreams. He mainly keeps this secret world to himself as he tries to copes with abuse, growing up without support or guidance and the mystery of his family's past. 

Xander and the Assassins Gift (Book 2 of the Dream-Walker)

The Assassins Gift: Xander Davidson struggles with the conspiracy of his family and the group that is actively trying to manipulate him to join them or die. The young Dream Walkers learns an early lesson to be careful about whom they let into their circle.


Warriors of Perception (Book 3 of the Dream-Walker)

Warriors of Perception: Xander Davidson and his band of friends embark on a mission to free themselves from their oppressors. They bravely face the challenge all the while vying for the right moment to turn the tables.


Jace Lee The Shift (Book 4 of the Dream-Walker)

Jace Lee The Shift: We find a new apprentice, Adam, that is fighting for his life. He is struggling to understand the amazing skills of his mentor, Jace Lee; a younger man that has trained under Xander Davidson. All the while his mentor attempts to reconcile the fact that his skills do not match up with the other Dream Walkers.


Jace Lee No Agenda (Dream Walker Book 5)

Jace Lee No Agenda: Jace Lee attempts to find himself on a self-imposed vision quest of sorts. Instead he finds himself being stalked by the same group that had previously sought after his teacher, (Xander Davidson). Instead of mastering his odd Dream Walking skills he finds love and the potential loss of his powers.

Jace Lee and the Tutelage of Ming Wu: Dream Walker 6 

Jace Lee The Tutelage of Ming Wu: Jace Lee rejoins his teacher Xander Davidson as they cope with a possible combined threat (the mysterious), Ming Wu and the Council that has continuously monitored the Dream Walkers.       

No comments: